29 sept. 2011

Interview : The Hacker (eng)

Saturday 24th Sept, Renaissance Man, Théo Gravil and The Hacker were doing a show in Rennes. We took the chance to present you an old old interview, done at the "Astro gets naked" night (Brest). Not the 2011 edition though, but the 2010! ! ISpecial interview for people who say "I don't know who The Hacker is" (don't worry, we didn't before either). We had fun, and not just a bit.
 

1. Could you introduce yourself for our readers who don't know who you are please?
   So my stage name is The Hacker, I am from Grenoble, I'm 37 years old and I make electronic music since roughly 15 years now. I am mainly known for my project with Miss Kittin, and also for some side projects alone, which are more of a techno and dark electro kind, let's say. More or less...

 
2. You are a lot quoted as a pioneer and anchor of the techno music scene. Why do you think it is so?
   Simply because it's been a while since I am in the business. I really started at the beginning of the 90s, when rave parties appeared, so around 92/93. So I think it's because of that that people look at me like a pioneer and maybe because I am old! That must be it! (laughs)

 
3. You created your own record company "Good Life". According to you, what are the advantages and inconvenients of having your own label?
   The advantages are that you can publish the music that you want, that you like without asking yourself too many questions. The inconvenients are that these are small structures so it is always a bit difficult to promote and all because it costs money and things like that. This may be the inconvenient but in the mean time it still is something interesting to do, artistically speaking I think. Trying to develop things that you really like, and then either it works or not you can see, and generally it's more positive than negative.

What was the motivation to create this label? because you couldn't find the structures that you liked?
   Just the envy of publishing the music that we really like.

Could you tell us what you are most proud of?
   The music that we made, my colleagues - I want to say - and me : Oxia, Kiko, these are people from Grenoble too - my own stuff, ... I am proud of it all actually, there's no particular thing.

 
4. You should be releasing a new album soon...
   So I've heard!
So have we read too! And it should be named "Black Hole"?
   No, this one is out! Black Hole has been released no so long ago! It's just a EP like that, so there are 3 songs and it has been released on a label called White Noise. It's the label of an english dj, rather well known, called Dave Clark and the last stracks I did are quite representative of the music I make nowadays.

And it works quite well for you right now, we have seen on your facebook page. Your first fans seem quite happy that you can go back to a sound more...
   Yeah a harder sound maybe. It's true it's working quite well yes!

 
5. Do movies influence the way you make music, and if yes which ones?
   There are a few things that influenced me, but maybe I don't have a particular exemple in mind. Perhaps it is less true nowadays, but a few years ago I was very influenced by everything science-fiction and fantasy actually, because they had this atmosphere that matched with myself; always a bit mysterious, a bit dark and I liked all that. There are some soundtracks from the 60/70s that I like a lot because they have the first synthesizers, the first electronic sounds and I like this kind of atmosphere. There are also movies that influenced whith their own atmosphere, it could be the first Alien, Village of the Damned and old science-fiction thing, it could also be the first Nosferatu in the 20s, in black and white. This kind of things I like.

 
6. What tracks are you listening to nowadays?
   Right now, probably there is no track in particular, but I listen to a lot of techno whereas strangely it has been some time, I mean that I have been listenning to it at home. There is a band that I have been listenning to since 25 years and probably that I will listen to all my life, it's Depeche Mode. I am kind of non-stop on that right now.

 
7. Do you have some artists fomr the german scene to advice?
    Eeeeeeh, no! (laughs) No but yes, I mean I exagerate but right now I am...

Not especially from nowadays scene, but like in general?
   Then there is DJ Hell from the Gigolo Records with who I have been working, and with who we started with Miss Kittin. For me, he is still somebody very important because he's the one that discovered us, because we signed in germany with Miss Kittin at the beginning and musically speaking, it is him who made me, not discover things, but it is him who made me realise, who said "use your own influences", Depeche Mode and all, and stop trying  copying the other techno guys, which was what I did a bit at the beginning. He told me to make something a bit more personnal, and that's why he has been somebody important, and somebody that I like as a dj, musician and producer. There are some other people too : Sven Väth, Anthony Rother, people like that. But what is happening now in Germany, globally I think it's "very boring", this sort of minimal house where nothing is happening, it is the same thing for hours, it's not appealing to me, it's boring me actually. The bases of the techno music come from there. A band like Kraftwerk, I don't know if you have heard of them, there are like the pioneers of the electronic music, and there were making almost only techno music in the 70s. So it is true that electronic music and Germany is a long story. More than in France, but this is another debate. But it's true that there is something very strong there for electronic music.

There is a german dj girl who started her own label, I can't remember her name...
   There are a lot you know! (laughs) Ellen Allien?

Yes, that's her! You can hear a lot of talking about her still...
   Yeah, I like what she does by the way. There are people like that that I like. I said Germany was boring, but there's a lot of people I like. Ellen Allien I like a lot what she does actually, DJ Hell and all... There are some interesting stuffs, we should'nt be too general but globally the "buzz" sound in Germany makes me bored.


So now we are gonna ask questions more...
   personnal? (laughs)
No! less serious and more crazy...

 
8. Is the glass half empty or half full?
   I prefer to say that it is half full.

Actually, this question is a reference to yor label "Good Life".
   Why?

We got into some jokes, we thought it was quite a positive name...
   Yeah, right, we picked this name Good Life, so it's old right, because we were saying to ourselves : look at the djs' lives, fun nights out, that's the life, that's it... It's also a reference to one of the first techno tracks that's called Good Life, something from Detroit in the 80s. But right now I am in a positive side of my life, we could say, so I want to say yes, the glass is half full.

 
9. Did people though you were a computer hacker at the beginning? or even now? How do you react?
   Yes it still happens a bit. I don't care, it's understandable and it's even funnier as I am lame in computing. If I took this name it is for the relation to one of my favorite techno artists, Jeff Mills. There is one of his first tracks which is called The Hacker, I thought It sounded nice so there, nothing to do with computers. I can only send emails, go on Facebook, and that's all. Better than nothing!

 
10. Do you know the recipe of the "gratin dauphinois"?
   Aaaaaaaaaah! I only know you need : potatoes, fresh cream, a bit of milk. Now, about the cooking time and all, I can't tell you...
 
No personal ingredient to make it better?
   No no no, you have to be extremely faithful, otherwise it is no "gratin dauphinois", if you start adding cheese and stuff, it has nothing to do with it anymore!

 
11. I had another question about the tours, but you kind of answered already. Isn't it depressing to be on the roas, because for djs it mostly at night that you are playing, so it is a different rhythm to take and when it stops...  
   Generally no. It is another rhythm to adapt to, but it's been almost 15 years that I am doing it and I don't we are in a position to complain actually. After , it is also a choice of lifestyle, but I am ready to live it 15 more years, It's ok! There's no problem! (laughs)

 
12. Tonight is the official party for the release of the festival's program, did you have time to take a look? It starts with Jeff Mills, a little French Touch N°2, ... 
   Globally the program is really good, after what you talk about the french touch n°2, it is not that much appealing to me. Maybe it means I am an old shrimp!
   Most of them don't know how to mix, their gigs aren't live, it's all swagger. But in the mean time I have the feeling that audiences don't care about that. Anyway, you tell yourself I don't know what to think about it, but in the mean time they have the right to do what they want. It is not appealing for me musically speaking, Daft Punk's GQ I already know, I undersand, but it is not for me.

 
And tonight there is Mondkopf opening for you, do you know him? He doesn't exactly have the same style...
   I know his name but I haven't really heard his music yet, so it will be for tonight. Why not actually, I have nothing against it. But let's be honest, between boring minimal house in Germany and french touch n°2, I can't relate myself to it at the moment, I'm getting a little dull ... So voilà! (laughs)


By Josephine and LittleSyd. Translated by LittleSyd.

Aucun commentaire: